Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Start of My New Journey

It's crazy how life leads you down a different path from where you thought that you would be. Just like the saying goes, "If you want to make God laugh, just tell Him about your plans." Well in my life, He allowed for me to entertain my dream of being an architect for just a little while. Several years of focus and dedication, and a couple years of practice. And that is it. Apparently, that is not the journey I was meant to be on.

I have come to accept the writing on the wall. My architectural career is over, and it's time to move on. To say that it is bittersweet, is quite an understatement. On one hand it's sad that a dream of mine has died. I had wanted to be an architect since I was 12 years old. I worked my butt off for it, achieved it, and lost it. And what kills me is that there isn't anything that I can do about it. Thousands and thousands of architects are in the same boat as I am. And it's three years later after the economy crashed. How long are we supposed to wait?

{This is not meant to be a pity party. A vent, yes, absolutely.}

Before you feel too too bad for me, the last three years have been wonderful. I got married, we moved into our first house, and we had our amazingly beautiful daughter. And I have had the awesome fortune of being a stay at home mommy to her for the last fifteen months. 

So what is in the works now?

I have started school again to become a nurse. Yes, you have read that right, 180 degrees different from architecture. Am I crazy? Maybe. But I am excited about this new start and a chance to help people and to be apart of something that is bigger than myself. If you were to ask me right this second what part of nursing I would like to go into (did you all know that there are 80 different types of nurses?!), my dream would be to be a Labor and Delivery night nurse.

As scary as my birth experience was to me, I had the most incredible bunch of nurses that calmed me down so that I could enjoy the first moments of my daughter's life. I would love to be apart of that team now being on the other side and help mothers and mothers-to-be with their birth experience.

As they say, "having a baby changes everything".

Stay tuned for my experiences in college again, it's a lot different now that I am not 18 anymore.

3 comments:

  1. what what a journey, congratulations on wonderful changes. Good for you for knowing what you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey following u from SITS, plz follow me back @ http://brownsistacrista.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, having a baby definitely changes everything! You always hear that before having kids, but I don't think anyone can truly understand it until they have kids of their own. Good luck with your new nursing venture! New follower from SITS.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin