Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pull "Car" for a toddler

How can you beat a crafting project that uses stuff from around the house and makes your little one happy? And mommy gets to have a little crafting fun during nap time. Sounds like a win-win to me!
Here is very simple pull "car" that was made from a empty diaper box, one of my husband's old ties, patterned duct tape, scrap fabric and a plastic bowl that we never use. The only thing that I purchased for this project was the duct tape. Not bad! (Little girls have to have pretty duct tape, right?)

I simply wrapped the box with the duct tape. One suggestion would be to not put the duct tape right on the edge because as you would pull the box across the carpet, it will roll the tape. (see picture below) Three flaps of the box are folded down on the outside and are included in the wrapping. I went as far as the one roll of tape would allow. The one flap for the "steering" was left free so that I could attach the steering wheel.
Take an utility knife and cut a slit on the fold of the free flap so that you can loop the tie through the handle opening and your cut opening. Tie a knot.
Drill a hole through the middle of the plastic bowl. Attach with a washer on the back. Liberally cover the back with lots of duct tape so that there is no way the washer can come loose and pose a problem for your little one. (I used just regular duct tape)
Tack down the last flap with some tape and take a permanent marker to add some buttons. Lay some scrap fabric on the bottom of the box to make it more comfy.

Use a permanent marker to name your child's new toy!
Try not to wake up your child even though you are really excited to see if she likes it. My little one is still out of it! But I still took her for a ride around the house!
Project cost: $4.99

Vroom, Vroom!

4 comments:

  1. OMG what a great idea! ingenious... going to try that next time I have an empty box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I'm going to look for boy duct tape and make one of my own. Thanks for sharing this.

    Following along now.
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is so cute! I remember doing something similar with my brother when we were little!

    I'd love if you'd share this at my Teaching Time post! :-)

    http://philwife.blogspot.com/2012/08/teaching-time-for-toddlers-musical.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so adorable! I love that you repurposed the box too - kids love boxes! Hope you have a great weekend !

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin